Regardless of the workshop's focus or the age of the participants, my approach is always that writing comes from abundance. We all have a wealth of feelings and experiences to write from and we all have a voice we can trust in putting words on paper. I see my role as threefold:
- giving people a prompt that puts them in touch with that wealth
- providing a supportive atmosphere in which to explore it
- listening and, if they want, offering suggestions on how to develop their writing further.
If I'm working with young children or a large group, I may take them through this process to write poem together. With older students and adults, I'll lead them into writing on their own.
Workshops can focus on:
- inviting the voice (general exploration)
- writer's notebook
- writing for children
- introduction to writing for newly literate adults
Wondering if I'll be speaking in your area? Click here to see my scheduled appearances.